There are lots of ways to cook healthy tacos, and this is where we’ve included our best healthy taco recipes. If you follow these recipes, it will be easy to make healthy tacos that taste great. Once you read through some of these recipes and see how they’re prepared, you’ll also be able to use similar methods to tweak any of the other taco recipes on our site and make them healthy as well.
Healthy Taco Tips
In addition to following our healthy taco recipes below, here are a few tips and ideas on how to make your tacos healthier:
- Choose a leaner meat for your filling, such as chicken or turkey, if you want fewer calories and less fat
- When it comes to toppings, stick with fresh veggies and salsa. They’ll add flavor AND nutrition to your tacos.
- Another tip to lower calories and fat is to skip the sour cream. Or replace them with refried beans, which are filled with good protein and fiber.
- Cheese is a big part of most taco dishes. If you want less calories in your tacos you can reduce the amount of cheese you use as a topping. Another option is to change the TYPE of cheese you use.
For example, mozzarella cheese tastes great on tacos and has roughly half the amount of calories as hard cheeses such as cheddar or monterrey jack.
- One of my favorite things about making healthy tacos is you don’t need to sacrifice taste. Almost all the spices you use for cooking tacos have virtually no calories and TONS of flavor. This includes hot sauces! (Just read the ingredients on your hot sauce and make sure nothing sugary or processed was added.) By using a combination of spices and hot sauce you can cook delicious tacos and not even notice some of the less healthy ingredients you left out!
Enjoy your healthy tacos! And now, on to the recipes…
Healthy Taco Recipes
Bean tacos are easy to make and taste great. Best of all, they can be enjoyed by everyone including vegetarians. All you need is some black beans, pinto beans, corn tortilla shells, and a handful of your favorite taco toppings.
Read This Recipe » Bean Taco Recipe
A creative, tasty use for leftover turkey meat (or ground turkey meat if you prefer). This turkey taco recipe uses a combination of mouth-watering spices and fresh vegetables. All of the ingredients are cooked with the turkey meat to create a filling that tastes amazing.
Read This Recipe » Turkey Tacos Recipe
This easy recipe will show you how to make delicious, healthy vegetarian tacos. This is a simple recipe to make tacos without meat that still taste great! We’ve included several optional ingredients for you to add more protein or make small changes based on the types of vegetables you enjoy the most.
Read This Recipe » Easy Vegetarian Taco Recipe
This grilled fish taco recipe is a tasty, healthy meal and a wonderful alternative to beef tacos. The pico de gallo really complements the grilled fish, and looks as good as it tastes. Watch the video to see it done!
Read This Recipe » Grilled Fish Taco Recipe
Chicken tacos done right. This chicken taco recipe is easy to make. Just lock the ingredients in the crock pot and go about your day. When you get back, you’ll have juicy pulled chicken with the perfect spicy taste.
Read This Recipe » Pulled Chicken Taco Recipe
Tasty chicken tacos cooked to perfection with a spicy, citrus flavor. These chicken tacos are both healthy and easy to make. You can’t go wrong with this meal that satisfies the whole family every time.
Read This Recipe » Chicken Tacos Recipe